Checkpoints and Plan of Action

In order to prepare for various situations, Camp Omega’s staff has prepared a list of checkpoints at which decisions will be made. Considerations made in these processes are as follows: 

  • The safety of our community, guests, and staff
  • Local health official guidelines 
  • CDC guidelines
  • Governmental agencies requirements
  • American Camp Association (ACA) recommendations 

With these guidelines and recommendations in mind, if at any point it is prohibited or recommended to cancel further camp programming, we are prepared to adhere to these recommendations or orders. 

Checkpoint #1: MN Governor Walz Stay-at-Home Order

Currently, Minnesota is under a “Stay Home MN” order, which is due to expire on May 18. However Governor Walz extended the peacetime emergency order until June 12. This not only limits the size of the camp community, but also limits our ability to bring in and train the thirty young adults needed to effectively implement summer camp at Camp Omega. 

What we are doing:

  • Closely monitoring all governmental regulations, as well as staying up-to-date on the predicted trajectory of future restrictions.

Checkpoint #2: President Trump’s “Opening Up American Again” (

Phase One, of which we are currently under, requires schools and organized youth activities (including camps) to remain closed. This three-phased approach doesn’t allow youth camps to open until the second phase is reached, which won’t happen until states can show evidence of not having a rebound and that satisfy the gating criteria a second time.

What we are doing:

  • Closely monitoring all governmental regulations, as well as staying up-to-date on the predicted trajectory of future restrictions.
  • Staying in communication with our local health department regarding potential operation this summer and what restrictions might be involved.

Checkpoint #3: Camp Logistics

This is a rapidly changing situation, and there is still much uncertainty surrounding what the next several weeks and months will look like. We are proceeding with confidence that we can safely offer family camp programming. This presents some significant logistical challenges in planning and preparation. For camp programs to happen this summer, we must be able to anticipate future needs, stockpile necessary supplies, have the support of our summer staff team, and be ready to “go” within a relatively short time frame.   

What we’re currently doing:

  • Surveying our summer staff to collect information about their ability and willingness to serve in a shortened or otherwise impacted summer season.
  • Developing contingency plans in several different critical planning areas related to this summer.
  • Working with our suppliers to ensure adequate ability to stock necessary items such as hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies.

Checkpoint #4: Decision Dates

With the daily change in information and the strong desire to serve families, we are hesitant to cancel the entire youth summer camp sessions at this point. We remain hopeful that youth camp can still happen at some point. Therefore, decisions will be made based on information available according to the following schedule:

  • Friday, June 12, a decision with regards to July camp sessions will be made. 
  • Friday, July 10, a decision with regards to August camp sessions will be made.
  • Friday, August 7, a decision with regards to fall programming will be made.

As more decisions are made, we will update the website and follow up with emails. Of course, if you have questions or concerns before then, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

“Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” – Psalm 25:4-5